The perfect place to relax and explore...
Situated in Lakes Entrance, East Gippsland – the entrance to the Gippsland Lakes, Waverley House Cottages is located 300km east of Melbourne and a great stopover on the Sydney to Melbourne coastal driving route.
Waverley House Cottages is in close proximity to a wide range of recreational interests and attractions, and 5 minutes drive to Ninety Mile Beach, Lakes Entrance and the Gippsland Lakes.
IN AND AROUND LAKES ENTRANCE
- With the entrance to the Gippsland Lakes the reason for the town – get out and about to explore its many attractions. The footbridge over Cunninghame Arm (known to locals as the front lake!) leads to the famous Ninety Mile. The Main beach is patrolled in summer – enjoy the beach or take the walking track to view the Entrance. You might spot a seal or two, our local Burranun dolphins or see the next fresh catch coming in on one of the trawlers – part of the large fishing fleet based in port.
- Bring your bike, canoe, kayak, paddle board or boat to venture out and explore the Lakes, nearby islands and inland waterways and bike trails. You also can hire these at Venture Out located on the Esplanade or hire a boat on Marine Parade.
- Book a tour to explore the Gippsland Lakes – over 300kms of waterway to explore.
- Try your luck fishing or crabbing off the jetties, check out the fishing fleet which catches the fresh seafood we all enjoy or enjoy a meal along the Esplanade. (keep your eye out for a pod of dolphins!)
- For some two wheel adventures bring your mountain bike and ride old growth forest at nearby Colquhoun State Forest. Or you can choose from a range of hire and tour options with Venture Out
- Pack a picnic and drive a few minutes to Nyerimilang Park, a historic homestead set in beautiful gardens with clifftop views of the Lakes and a variety of scenic walking tracks.
- Head to a weekend farmers' market and stock up on some superb local produce from East Gippsland.
- Grab some fish and chips and sit and watch the fishing fleets returning at Lakes Entrance.
- Once you have explored the many cafes, restaurants and shops in Lakes Entrance, you may want to drive a little further round the Lakes to visit Lake Tyers Beach or Metung.
- Or simply relax, pour a glass of wine and enjoy the beautiful native gardens surrounding your cottage.
HALF OR FULL DAY TRIPS (all within 2 hours drive)
- Go underground at Buchan exploring the famous Buchan Caves.
- Bring your bikes and cycle all or part of the stunning East Gippsland Rail Trail, enjoying spectacular river scenery from the top of old railway bridges. Or join a guided cycle tour (including bike hire) with Snowy River Cycling.
- Head to Cape Conran Coastal Park for the day. Have a look at the historic Trestle bridge on your way there or back or stop at Nowa Nowa for a famous hamburger at Mingling Waters.
- Be inspired with a cooking lesson at Culinaire Cooking School in Swan Reach.
- Drive to Paynesville and jump on the ferry over to Raymond Island to see koalas.
- Follow the Twin Rivers ‘Food & Wine Trail’ to sample fresh local produce, meet the growers and producers and take in beautiful scenery on your drive.
- Look for fairies in the Fairy Dell Forest near Bruthen, or head to the Bullant Brewery for a cleansing ale and great food.